COE Forum: Creating an Inclusive Curriculum: Teaching LGBTQ History in Public Schools
The 2019 Illinois Inclusive Curriculum Act requires all publicly funded Illinois schools to study the roles and contributions of lesbian, gay, transgender and queer people in the history of Illinois and the United States
Join us for a discussion of:
- The history, rationale and mandate for this new curriculum law.
- Creating safe, inclusive classrooms and schools
- Curricular frameworks: the contexts of anti-bias education; of sexuality and gender, of social/emotional learning.
- Ideas for incorporating age-appropriate content into existing curriculum.
- Having conversations with parents, the community, & other educators.
- Resources available for teachers
- Dr. Marie Donovan, Associate Professor, College of Education, DePaul
- Dr. Rachel Harper, Professional lecturer, COE, DePaul
- Grecia Magdaleno, Policy & Advocacy Manager, Safe Schools Alliance
- Elana Jaccobs, Prieto Elementary School, CPS
- Adam Loredo, Hamilton Elementary School, CPS
Wednesday, February 26 at 5:30pm
Student Center (Lincoln Park), 120B
2250 N Sheffield Ave